The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#324637 by Patrik Karlsson
Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:23 am
I'm curious about devins wiring diagram with kemper and axe fx, In a RigTour video from TotalGuitar he said i use two seperate sounds, heavy sound or clean sound dry, then i mix that with a specific wet sound.

To me it sounds like he is splitting(Radial JX44) signal to Kemper Profiled Amp distorted/clean dry out & Axe fx Modeled Amp distorted/clean + Wet Effects out. And blend/mix them together in stereo.

Or is he running kemper Amp output trought axe fx FXLOOP someway.

I have both units but no splitter, using kemper out to axe fx input and use a FXLOOP block to split the signal Dry/Wet OUT, but to me it sounds like kemper doesnt sound the same going trought axe fx, colors the sound. Anyone have some info about devins kemper + axe fx wiring setup?
#324641 by swervedriver
Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:21 am
I'm not sure there's anything more detailed out there other than the gear videos by Dev himself. I would say that he's not running the Kemper and Axe in series (or the Kemper in an FX loop), that's the opposite of splitting their signals... If you really want to replicate his routing I think you can't get around putting a splitter before running into the modelers.

Does he say in the video he uses both the Kemper and Axe simultaneously? I remember seeing a video in which he explained he uses Axe's FX loop to send a signal to a cabinet, which is mic-ed as the dry signal, and also the direct output of the Axe which also contains an IR (impulse response) of (probably) the same cab and whatever effects he needs. Then the direct and the mic-ed signal were blended together as his sound.

Personally, it sounds overly complicated to even want to replicate. The AxeFX offers plenty of routing options, amp sim and IR choices to get very close. I imagine the Kemper similarly has plenty of profiles available (I only own the Axe). Stick with one modeler of your choice and work with that. I get lost already blending two amp blocks and/or IRs together, let alone a setup with two dry and a wet signal to be mixed together. Of course, if it's an exercise in exploring routing options, have fun, but if that's not the goal I'd try to keep it as simple as reasonably possible. :)