The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#324574 by lellomenestrello
Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:59 am
Hi guys, I'm new my name is Marcello, I hope I'm posting this in the right section, if not sorry never used forums before from mobile and still not figuring how tapatalk works, also doing my best with english, I'm italian.
First of all this seems a great forum, abd lurking a little seems a very good place to share and talk about Devin and his stuff.
I've discovered Devin in early 2015...man...He's amazing, I'm going slowly through is works because are really different...BTW me and my friends are playing some DTP songs and I want to ask you guys some advices about anything that could help us improve in this way.
The main problem is: we have no tabs :( and i have the worst ears ever
Then there is the effects problem, we are trying to do what we can with simple set-ups, but if you can help in any way i'll thank you in advance...
So once again sorry if I'm not posting in the right place...I'm a freaking noob

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk
#324575 by swervedriver
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:36 am
Ciao Marcello, benvenuti!

It can be hard to find decent tabs of Dev's work. I don't know if you're familiar with www.ultimate-guitar.com but that is generally a good place to start. Also in our Voices In The Fan section people have posted some tabs and covers, you might try searching there as well.

As for effects, you'll have to be a bit more specific. Which songs are you trying to play, and what part or effect are you having trouble replicating?
#324578 by lellomenestrello
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 pm
Thanks for replying :), I've searched already on ultimate guitar, but there only few tabs, as of today we are playng: Fallout,Ih-Ah,Vampira,Hyperdrive and studying Kingdom, Deadhead,Universal Flame and March of the Poozers (still having some problems with the singer TBH).
About the effects, our problem is that some songs are different from others and we are searching for only one set-up that could fit (with some adjusting) almost every song, I know it's Hard, but any advice is welcome!
Once again thank you for replying ;) i'll take a look at "voices in the fan section"

#324579 by swervedriver
Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 am
Most of those songs should have pretty decent tabs available, although I can't comment on the Z2 stuff since I haven't looked for tabs of that. How are you handling the different tunings? I guess the difference between open C and open B is easy to fix, but I think Vampira is in standard E. Or did you transcribe that to fit an open tuning?

As for effects, probably the most difficult thing is to recreate how big everything sounds. If you're with two guitarists, that helps quite a lot already, but you could consider adding quite some reverb to (one of) the guitars to create the sense of a big space. Of course, too much reverb will wash out everything so you'll have to play around to find out how much you can use without losing tone definition. If you are with two guitarists, start with reverb only on one guitar. In that case, one guitar would provide the power and definition, and the other would provide the sense of bigness with the reverb effect.

Alternatively you could try some delay, but for Dev's songs I would first look at reverbs. He probably uses quite some tricks to build his wall of sound (also for his live performances), not all of which are easily replicated: reverbs, delays, multitracked guitars, keyboards, other mixing/mastering techniques, who knows... Good luck in any case! :)
#324581 by lellomenestrello
Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:41 am
swervedriver wrote:Most of those songs should have pretty decent tabs available, although I can't comment on the Z2 stuff since I haven't looked for tabs of that. How are you handling the different tunings? I guess the difference between open C and open B is easy to fix, but I think Vampira is in standard E. Or did you transcribe that to fit an open tuning?

As for effects, probably the most difficult thing is to recreate how big everything sounds. If you're with two guitarists, that helps quite a lot already, but you could consider adding quite some reverb to (one of) the guitars to create the sense of a big space. Of course, too much reverb will wash out everything so you'll have to play around to find out how much you can use without losing tone definition. If you are with two guitarists, start with reverb only on one guitar. In that case, one guitar would provide the power and definition, and the other would provide the sense of bigness with the reverb effect.

Alternatively you could try some delay, but for Dev's songs I would first look at reverbs. He probably uses quite some tricks to build his wall of sound (also for his live performances), not all of which are easily replicated: reverbs, delays, multitracked guitars, keyboards, other mixing/mastering techniques, who knows... Good luck in any case! :)

Thanks for the advice :) we are currently using a drop C tuning for all songs except for vampira that we do in D tuning (just to use one guitar) I'm search of tabs about sky blue or silent militia and currently we are in search of a keyboard player that enjoy this music ;) it's not easy because even if Devin is a legend the people here (even the ones into metal/prog etc) don't know him, so I'm spreading the word of Devin around XD
I'm thinking and trying about the open C by the way..it's a wonderful tuning once you get familiar to as i can see