The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#200750 by filitalian
Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:33 pm
The 180 degree turn from SYL to Ki makes me more interested in this future material and after listening to the interviews about why Dev quit SYL kind of brings more meaning and substance to the SYL music - I kind of hear it with a different ear.

A funny (or not so funny) story - I add SYL to my friends on myspace back in '07 and post a comment to them that goes like, "I've just found my new favorite band," or something like that. The very next day, a bulletin is posted saying that the band is no more!! how dissapointing...

I'm looking forward to the new DTP albums. Cheers
#200798 by neillyb
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:06 am
Man, every single interview introduces him as a "ker-azy madman" and some heavy metal, blood and thunder deity with a passion for the unpredictable. That must be so fucking annoying. After all these interviews with people labelling you with tags like that you must start thinking "maybe I am a nutter..."

All part of the job though I guess!
#200812 by The Dev
Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:49 am
Yeah, but it's understandable...a combination of how I presented myself, with years of stoned interview kind of predisposes interviews to that. It's highly annoying in terms of repetition, but a situation like the dtp allows me to use the interview opportunities to maybe change that.

The only real annoying thing is when people use prolific output and varied stylistic approaches as a reason to think 'crazy'...in fact, folks who choose one style to the exclusion of all others (specifically when they're capable of much more) is the ker'azy thing to me.

It just takes time though...you do magazine covers dressed like a mad scientist, do interviews on acid, and bless em...they've got a right to assume that. Ah interviews eh? ...keep em coming and I'll keep answerin' them.
#200813 by daneulephus
Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 am
This interview was such a tease....

Wonder if the whole thing is out there somewhere.....hey, does anyone know why I can't load that Faceculture interview? Nothing happens, and it is irritating.

Thanx!
Dan
#200834 by Lawrence
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:13 pm
Skelly Says:
June 3rd, 2009 at 4:58 PM
Devin Townsend is amazing! I believe if he produces slayer he will rip a hole in the universe and whatever comes out we all deserve

Best comment ever hahaha
#200967 by Amber
Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:05 pm
Thats a cool interview, but why'd they keep cutting it? Kinda peeved me a little.

Actually, something I've wondered and so far found no answers too - Did you teach yourself to sing, or was you taught? If anyone else can answer, that'd be awesome too. :D
#200988 by AlucardXIX
Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 pm
The Dev wrote:My grade 11 choir teacher, Mr.Springer, taught me everything I know about singing...

Yay him!

You only took one year of that kind of stuff? Or was it more of an over the years type deal?
#200991 by The Dev
Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm
Well, also I worked as a dishwasher, and sang my ass off all day to 'Nothings Shocking', "Vulgar Display Of Power' 'The Real Thing' and 'Louder Than Love' for a year...best practice ever was in the freezer putting away steaks....oh, also 'Streetcleaner'
#200992 by daneulephus
Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:07 pm
The Dev wrote:Well, also I worked as a dishwasher, and sang my ass off all day to 'Nothings Shocking', "Vulgar Display Of Power' 'The Real Thing' and 'Louder Than Love' for a year...best practice ever was in the freezer putting away steaks....oh, also 'Streetcleaner'

Oh yeah, this explains alot Devin. Especially Real Thing and Vulgar. I imagine Streetcleaner had a hand in writing SYL tunes.....But, forgive me...I don't know what Nothings Shocking or Louder than Love are. Sorry, I know....I am lame.

Dan

http://www.myspace.com/1omegaproject<-----new music
#200995 by deepeace
Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 am
Nothing's Shocking is a Jane's Addiction album... a really good one. Perry Farrell and Devin are my favorite singers in rock, it's really cool to know Dev sang along with him for practice.
#200999 by djskrimp
Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:42 am
daneulephus wrote:
The Dev wrote:Well, also I worked as a dishwasher, and sang my ass off all day to 'Nothings Shocking', "Vulgar Display Of Power' 'The Real Thing' and 'Louder Than Love' for a year...best practice ever was in the freezer putting away steaks....oh, also 'Streetcleaner'

Oh yeah, this explains alot Devin. Especially Real Thing and Vulgar. I imagine Streetcleaner had a hand in writing SYL tunes.....But, forgive me...I don't know what Nothings Shocking or Louder than Love are. Sorry, I know....I am lame.

Dan

http://www.myspace.com/1omegaproject<-----new music

Louder Than Love is from Soundgarden. If you're going to sing, Chris Cornell (back in the day) isn't such a bad route, let me tell ya.
#201004 by auldj
Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:23 am
Dev, thanks for being honest and open in all these interviews, it's really nice to see!

I've been watching Metallica interviews from the early 90's and Hetfield is so "manish" it gets boring....bringing your stage personna into your real life is never a good thing...that's why it's also nice to listen to Hetfield interviews now as he's also open, honest and sobre.

Well done laddie! 8)