The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#201017 by mushroom
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 am
Haha the "imitation" scream of death vocals in that interview is amazing, even when he does it as a joke still sounds killer. You rock bald man
#201018 by Amber
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 am
The Dev wrote:My grade 11 choir teacher, Mr.Springer, taught me everything I know about singing...

Yay him!

The Dev wrote:Well, also I worked as a dishwasher, and sang my ass off all day to 'Nothings Shocking', "Vulgar Display Of Power' 'The Real Thing' and 'Louder Than Love' for a year...best practice ever was in the freezer putting away steaks....oh, also 'Streetcleaner'

Oh right that's pretty cool. I fell out with my music teacher, and then she pretty much refused to help me anything. :oops: So, I've been doing pretty much that, just practising songs and things. :D

Singing and putting away steaks, that is a strange combo I gotta say...
#201021 by Nevaeh
Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 am
I don't rate myself as a singer at all, but I sing along to a fair bit of Devin, but more-so - Textures - and its really really improved the strength of my voice. I've got a similar range to Eric Kalsbeek so *shrugs* its something I love singing to - especially Awake. I was stoked a while back how much my voice has progressed even though I don't really practice. I'd love to incorporate it into my own music but I've no idea where to start or the confidence to do it myself. Give me a guitar or bass and its a totally different matter.

Soundgarden, I feel represents SYL in a few manners. Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil (an INSANELY underrated musician) have both said themselves that they wouldn't want to go back to it, and possibly turn it into a joke. Devin's said the same. I can totally respect that.

I wanted to touch on the production side that Dev talked about. The crap some of these bands seemed to have pulled - I find it really disrespectful - ignorant of whether its Devin, or Jason Suecof or any professional producer. It's just manners that you don't involve someone else in your own politics. You go in, you get tight, you have an understanding of the hardware, backline, software and processes you are doing and do your utmost to get a release that people will be absolutely stoked with - or you're wasting everyone's time and money.

Becoming The Archetype to me was interesting. The productions great, they're good song writers, but personally - any music with the "Christian" pre-fix to me taints my opinion. I can totally respect any religion, faith or spiritual beliefs, and the need sometimes to express yourself, but I personally find a hard time understanding how it fits in being an issue with ALL the music you create. It's boxing and limiting the subject matter of what you feel you need to express - and there is more to life than Theology. I personally also don't really like the vocal style of BTA.
#201029 by daneulephus
Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:36 am
Thanx everyone for informing my ignorant ass about Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden. I like to think of myself as very knowledgable in music but that is just sad. Jane's Addiction is one of those bands I always wanted to get into, but it just never happened. I love Perry's voice. And Soundgarden...meh. Never clicked for me, although they are excellent musicians!
Now if I could only get into half of Dev's other influences. It is weird, you love someone's music like it is your own child....but yet you don't have the same appreciation for where it came from. Maybe I can equate that to loving your significant other, but not caring too much for your mother-in-law hahaha. Although, Grotus....Lloyd Webber, Stravinsky, Fear Factory, Napalm Death, Carcass, and Meshuggah are awesome, among others I probably forgot.

Dan

http://www.myspace.com/1omegaproject<---having upload problems...be patient!
#201056 by Nevaeh
Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:16 pm
Second half of Straws Pulled At Random still gives me goosebumps.
#201106 by The Oid
Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:06 am
Deathcom7000 wrote:That was a pretty cool, but pretty short interview. It makes me a little sad though that Devin dosn't consider himself a good screamer. I consider him my favorite. :(

I could see how he could think that if he were judging himself on his ability to do generic death metal vocals, but the fact that he doesn't do generic identikit death metal vocals is what makes him good at screaming.
#201473 by swervedriver
Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:01 am
daneulephus wrote:http://soundshock.net/index.php/interviews/664-devin-townsend-interview

It might be my computer, but the right column of this interview is cut off...so there are words missing.

Dan :mrgreen:

Adjust your screen resolution?

Anyway, this bit..
“dun-dun deeeh dun-dun deeeh-deeeh dun-dun... DONG, BONG”

..made me laugh so hard. :D
#201481 by mushroom
Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:54 am
"No one is gonna pay me 100,000 dollars to do a Ziltoid show"

I read in an old interview (about ziltoid, in Metal Hammer magazine or Kerrang i don't remember now) that he wouldn't do a ziltoid show 'cause he didn't wanted to go further with the whole thing and just leave it as a record
#201504 by daneulephus
Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:59 pm
"you go to the soda machine and you're like I'll take orange and coke and Dr Pepper and all this shit and at the end you kind of get this brown thing that just tastes like sugar, right."

Man I died when I read that lol.

This interview made me feel kind of like an idiot for still making incredibly complicated and chaotic music. I guess it is just where I am at in life though. 10 years of haggard addiction brings about some crazy and emotional music....I think in both of our cases.

Oh yea.....I think my browser was just messed up.

Dan
#201517 by Wander
Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:44 am
daneulephus wrote:http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showinterview.php?id=2683&lang=en

Just found this one....makes me proud to be mostly Dutch.....

Dan

Holy shit! And then? Have you got any idea about what the next period will bring?
Possibly furniture.

I beg your pardon?
I am already doing that kind of carpentry thing, so who knows. I might keep playing or I might not do that. Who knows? One thing at a time.

This furniture thing Devin seems to mention everywhere... What the hell man?! :D

But I guess giving 4 records in one year SHOULD keep the fans occupied for a while. It'd be pretty crazy if he starts going 'Buckethead' and begins to works with the next record right after this project... Releasing 2-5 records every year!
#201525 by Lawrence
Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:38 am
"Conversely, cultures such as the English do not really understand this album at all."

I hope you are talking about interviewers or somthing because me, all the friends i have shown it to, and even my parents think it is an incredible record and after me explaining all understood what it stood for and why you did it.

Cant wait for Addicted, kinda looking forward to deconstruction which is weird as heavy music is most dominant in my listening.
Also the last album sounds like its going to be a real trip.