You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#106576 by Pisshead
Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm
I have no multi-region DVD player but I'm wondering if my Xbox 360 could play NTSC..anyone have any idea if it has the power to do so?

I'm desperate here!!! :turtle:

#106590 by Atari
Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:38 pm
Should be fine......you're TV isn't ancient, is it?

#106605 by Pisshead
Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:16 pm
No, not especially, but I thought it would be the player that was the problem..is it the TV too?

#106626 by classy camron
Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:03 pm
why cant it all just be released normally like everything else,like no fuckin special limited edition shit,no hard to find special features,just a normal DVD and CD.Fuck it all just seems so pointless and it pisses me off.

#106646 by Tracy
Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:32 pm
classy camron wrote:why cant it all just be released normally like everything else,like no fuckin special limited edition shit,no hard to find special features,just a normal DVD and CD.Fuck it all just seems so pointless and it pisses me off.

Dude, we didn't create different formats. There is no "normal" worldwide DVD. To master for both formats costs thousands of dollars. That is why if it isn't necessary anymore we'd really rather not do it. Europe uses PAL format, almost the rest of the world uses NTSC. If the European label thinks it was wise to release in their own territory in NTSC I'm sure it is fine.

#106664 by classy camron
Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:50 pm
I dont understand that medical mumbo jumbo

#106673 by sj_2150
Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:08 pm
classy camron wrote:I dont understand that medical mumbo jumbo

:? medical?

#106678 by classy camron
Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:26 pm
hahaha dont take me seriously im just gonna buy what i see on the 27th and thats that

#106680 by BLOOOR
Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:36 pm
Most of the world uses PAL, but a fair portion uses NTSC
I know its PAL here in Australia

heres a list of who apparently uses what
http://www.terrascope.org/NTSCvsPAL.html

dont matter to me though, everything in my house can handle NTSC

#106681 by BLOOOR
Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:38 pm
oh yeah, and from what I understand, if you have a "PAL" dvd player then an "NTSC" dvd will be in black and white. So thats not even such a bad thing.

#106690 by fragility
Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:57 pm
I've only ever had one problem with an NTSC disk being black and white, it totally makes sense for it to be released like that

#106709 by classy camron
Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:18 am
see shit like that all i know is i got to wal-mart buy a $30 DVD player and watch movies on it.DVD players are designed for that purpose right? just like cd players play CD's so im curious if i go to HMV on the 27th and buy synchestra wich i am informed comes with a dvd,will i be able to watch the dvd on my $30 dvd player from wal-mart that i have been able to watch everything else on,including "Strapping young lad For those aboot to rock"dvd?

#106711 by Atari
Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:49 am
I'm predicting that the dvd won't be region coded so you'll be fine.

#106720 by Biert
Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:46 am
classy camron wrote:see shit like that all i know is i got to wal-mart buy a $30 DVD player and watch movies on it.DVD players are designed for that purpose right? just like cd players play CD's so im curious if i go to HMV on the 27th and buy synchestra wich i am informed comes with a dvd,will i be able to watch the dvd on my $30 dvd player from wal-mart that i have been able to watch everything else on,including "Strapping young lad For those aboot to rock"dvd?

If you live in the USA there's no problem, everything is NTSC there. Tv, VHS videos, DVDs, games, the whole lot.

Too bad they're all NTSC, PAL seems to be better. Higher resolution and better colors, while NTSC only has a bit higher framerate...

#106770 by Chops 666
Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:27 am
classy camron wrote:see shit like that all i know is i got to wal-mart buy a $30 DVD player and watch movies on it.DVD players are designed for that purpose right? just like cd players play CD's so im curious if i go to HMV on the 27th and buy synchestra wich i am informed comes with a dvd,will i be able to watch the dvd on my $30 dvd player from wal-mart that i have been able to watch everything else on,including "Strapping young lad For those aboot to rock"dvd?

The $30 WalMart DVD is actually one of the best values around. It will play both NTSC and PAL. A number of live DVD's I download are actually PAL so I just went out and bought that DVD player. My $200 DVD player won't play them. :roll:
You won't have any problems with your DVD player for either format. The only problem you will ever come across is region coding. There is most likely a crack to change the settings on your DVD player though. Most manufacturers are getting smart enough to just use region 0 all of the time anyways so their discs will play anywhere in the world.