You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#97214 by The Dev
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:20 pm
Promos of the record are gonna start showing up, and therfore leaks will probably start as well. Please don't download it, but if you do hear it...you might as well know the story.

1 let it roll- it's in two parts, but it starts the record in a subtle way. In fact, the first 2 tracks (lir and the beggining of hypergeek) are essentially long intros. Most of the records I do smack you in the face on the first song...the climax of Synchestra is the 11th song, 'A Simple Lullaby'. Synchestra makes you wait for it. The story is about finding certain answers to life questions as a result of going too far, 'be careful what you wish for' and the way that reacts to a sensitive mind. Humility. Let it roll basically says just that, it's a resignation, almost like; 'I blew it...but theres nothing I can do about it now, so let it roll.'

Hypergeek- The intro is the wake up call, roosters and frogs and birds, with the words 'wake up' and 'joy' ending with a conductor that starts the whole thing officially with double kick about a minute in. Hypergeek is actually instrumental, but starts things off with a bit of a bang (it doesn't really let go though...again, it makes you wait.) This is the first scene.

Triumph - a subtle realization. 'one word - collective' there is a sense of relief in letting it roll, an aprehensive joy, things from the past culminating in a genuine present. Vai plays on this song for a reason, peace is made with the past. Brave enough to make a step.

The Baby Song - references to Infinity, as well as a sober alternative to 'Possesions' off of Alien. I'm 33 and this concept is a biggie in my life. This is the only song on the record that is a little 'precious' - it evokes a touch of wierdness, especially when the melody returns at the end in a minor key. It's a heavy Metal Lullaby that is intended to start the questioning again after a re-awakening. A sober part of reality that needs to be addressed at this age.

Vampolka - a polka prelude to Vampira to essentially lighten the mood after the baby song and set the stage for the transition song on the record, Vampira.

Vampira - The single, the attention getter for those who don't have the patience for the whole thing, but as such serves a definite purpose. It's essentially about overdramatizing the negative aspects of life, a real fop-ish 'woe is me' attitude, personifying the dark aspects of the reality of a current situation as an entity named 'Vampira'. A Judas Priest-esque rocker that is supposed to be a comedic version of the syl energy.
'Night...follows me when you're gone, and now...how am I to carry on?'
A parody of that side.

Mental Tan - the second awkening, a mellow soundscape that occurs after the smoke has cleared from Vampira, the only lyrics 'Oh my God I'm one...' this is the transition point on the record from re-awakening into reality and actually finding your place in it. The main melody is a major version of the theme that appears at the end of the song 'Judgement'

Gaia - Concern for the earth, personified with the name Gaia, the feminine energy of a sentient being that we abuse daily. 'Send the message to Gaia, the air is getting thin' Analysis of of selfish existence, and the beggining of a downward spiral of guilt. Being awake in a beautiful, vibrant reality and feeling that on some level you've neglected it all for the sake of things that are ultimately destructive and self absorbed...

Pixillate - A cry to God, Infinity, The Devil, whatever your poison is, to say 'I'M A FUCKING IDIOT, I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'VE DONE, I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'VE STOOD FOR, I DON'T DESERVE ANY OF THIS, I DON'T DESERVE ANY OF IT' A moment of clarity into a fallable human existence, compared to the majesty of nature, all we do is gauche and simple, the song is a lumbering beast that is supposed to beat that message in. the record at this point starts to get more emotionally involved, This song asks the question.

Judgement - The answer comes, 'YES, you ARE a fucking idiot... but thats OK, you're human, and thats where the beauty of humans lie, in their duality...know that you are fallable, and continue with that knowledge and make it work...NOW FUCKING BOW.' the song ends with the minor melody from Mental Tan, and the pulse of Pixillate, Almost like a momentary set up for the climax of the record.

A Simple Lullaby - The celebration...500,000 people, prayers and rejoicing during a PAINFULLY long intro (again, it makes you wait) This song is the celebration, the liberation, and the summary of the questioning. Cannons, Fireworks...you name it.

Sunset - This is where the credits roll, and people collect their bags on the way out of the theatre. A coffee after the dinner. It is a great way to release the energy of the prior songs...it keeps going and subtley builds the tension for the summary song, for the people that choose to stay seated.

Notes From Africa - Summarizes the whole damn thing. References and opposes 'Love?' from Alien, and really hammers the point of the record home, a real solid groove and a VERY STRANGE MELODY that has been in my head since Infinity. Salman Rushdie. It fades out into echoes that put you in a 5 minute jungle scape after the song is over. (we went to an indoor rainforest and taped the sounds of the waterfalls and birds) By this point of the record, I just wanted people to be in a tropical paradise for a few minutes. It's warm and beautiful. Technically, the record is over...

EXCEPT;

Sunshine And Happiness - If you stick around in the jungle for awhile, this song comes in. Whats it supposed to represent? Nothing. If anything, it's just supposed to be the happiest song EVER. To leave you with a smile. Dave played all the guitar, Mike and Beavis do guest vocals, it is supposed to wrap up the record on a note that doesn't take itself to seriously...
'If you say it's up to me to make the call, well I would say SUNSHINE AND HAPPINESS FOR ALL!!!'

If you're reading this on blabbermouth, it wasn't intended for blabbermouth, so giving me shit is like shooting the side of a barn on this one. I just want the fans of the dtb stuff to know this so the record as a whole doesn't come across as an oblique journey up my own ass. I won't talk much about this record I don't think. I'll explain this shit a few times I'm sure, but really...this record closes an era.

There, someone write the screenplay.

:P

#97216 by EphelDuath666
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:36 pm
man, I didn't expect to read that at 3:30 am :lol: Sounds damn good. That makes the waiting even more difficult! But thanks for taking the time to do that! :)

#97217 by Coma Divine
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:41 pm
Dude, my eyes are actually moist, here.

I swear on my Parents' graves:

I WILL NOT DOWNLOAD.
#97220 by Marshall Bravestar
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:51 pm
The Dev wrote:Judgement - The answer comes, 'YES, you ARE a fucking idiot... but thats OK, you're human, and thats where the beauty of humans lie, in their duality...know that you are fallable, and continue with that knowledge and make it work...NOW FUCKING BOW.'

Honestly - I'm not just saying this - but this sounds absolutely awesome. I've always loved progressive music, and this just sounds off the scale!!

Now I see why it was gonna be called Human originally.

The fact that there are antitheses to concepts off Alien from Possessions, Love? and so on means that Human/Alien would have made perfect sense.

Don't know if the anyone from the band would be willing to answer this (I guess Dev would be in the best position to answer), but why was the decision made to change the name to Synchestra? I'm interested in what that represents within the concept.

One hell of an update Dev! :D

#97221 by Marshall Bravestar
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:53 pm
Oh and I'll not be downloading the album. Don't really believe in it :)
#97227 by Miek
Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:41 pm
Oh how patience is so tough, but how worth it this will be. I'm more excited over than I was for Alien. DTB just holds so much more of life within it, as opposed to anger. Devin, you're amazing at making life even more beautiful than it already is (who knew it was possible!).

The Dev wrote:
Notes From Africa - a real solid groove and a VERY STRANGE MELODY that has been in my head since Infinity.

An existing idea for that long? Now this is something I have to hear!

...I can not WAIT for this cd to be released!

AND! There is still a whole second cd of goodies. Wow. My head is spinning in excitement.

#97232 by doomsoldier
Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 pm
Very interesting. The description of Pixillate in particular drew my attention.

#97233 by Seems like Trav
Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:36 pm
:wink:

#97234 by alphasnk
Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:11 pm
awesome... thanks devin, since ocean machine you've learnt me that the most important thing in life, in music, is to give love to people. You've changed the way i saw my life, and i was a pretty strapping young lad ;) at 14 years old, around 1996 city and ocean machine are safe home, on heavy rotation !

Dude that same year i've seen Sepultura, my first show...

Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, it's so cool to have this devin townsend moment of peace whenever i put a record of yours on!

Can't wait to hear that goddamn Synchestra!

Let's be amazed ;)

#97235 by djskrimp
Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:35 pm
You son of a bitch. You know good goddamn well that while everyone is human, so few of us have the ability to translate what we feel into tactile, visual or aural representations. Every single album we have heard you do an awesome job of expressing what so many of us think or feel in a way that makes sense and makes (me, anyway) feel as though, "What I think ISN'T so weird or out there". By what you are saying, Synchestra will be the culmination of all these things.....How did you get to tap into the sensitive soul so fucking well? Whatever, all I know is that I am damned glad that you continue to do it.

1) I'll wait for the CD
2) Thank you for the life-affirming music.

#97238 by theoryman
Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:03 am
Fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to give us the story. I will not download this either, unless you put an official sample on the website.

Question: you said, "a VERY STRANGE MELODY that has been in my head since Infinity. Salman Rushdie." What does Rushdie have to do with this?

And if this record closes an era, what's next?

#97240 by fragility
Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:31 am
Part of my wishes I hadn't read that, but it has definately (if it was possible) icnreased my interest even more. From the moment the first details of this album have come out, everything has sugegsted that this album will be everything I'd been hoping for in the next album. I cannot wait to have that baby in my hands!!!!

#97242 by wasabi_time
Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:40 am
I have a question on the references...

Is it going to be like a redux of certain segments of before songs? Like what Dream Theater did with The Glass Prison > This Dying Soul > The Root of All Evil kind of thing, where riffs and melodies from previous songs show up in the next in order... or am I thinking weird?

#97248 by Chris
Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:11 am

(this is not meant to increase my posts - it's just the written version of what I looked like after having read Dev's comment

#97249 by palak
Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:14 am
Once again devin shows us how he is the man.
let january come soon :luigi: