The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#219561 by Matt Nevens
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 am
I have that CD!

Paid loads for it from a japanese website in about 2003 i think, its not a bad cd i only bought it for Idom, rest of it is patchy, i didnt mind paying for it at the time i was after EVERYTHING devin had recorded, no matter what the price!

I guess its a bit of a collecters item nowadays.
#228138 by Ravonite
Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:05 am
I'm quite keen to hear that song. I love Dire's mentalness of being heavenly evil.
#318888 by Lord Of Amour Fantastique
Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 am
I managed to get this box set new and its flyer at a decent price directly from Japan, I'm soooo happy!!

"Idom" is really worth to have it!
Oh and by the way, the original title is ???, transcribed as "Idom" which means something like "challenge" or "defy"
Last edited by Lord Of Amour Fantastique on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#318968 by static2
Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 pm
Lord Of Amour Fantastique wrote:I managed to get this box set new and its flyer at a decent price directly from Japan, I'm soooo happy!!

"Idom" is really worth to have it!
Oh and by the way, the original title is ???, translated as "Idom" which means something like "challenge" or "defy"
#323402 by Kleo
Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:21 am
Here are some barely-edited notes for a Devy-pedia project that I backed away from slooooowly. Since they weren't completed back in the day, i can't find the newsletter I need to fill in some gaps.

Giant Robot Mikazuki was a children's television program in Japan chick full of giant robot battles. The producers decided to put together a soundtrack. They approached some musicians who worked in the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal idioms to write exclusive tracks inspired by the show as well. One such artist was Devin Townsend. According to a newsletter, he jumped at the chance to offer his take on two giant robots duking it out. This resulted in the compilation only track whose semi-translated title was "Idom/Hellwar." Once Devin was persuaded to return to Strapping Young Lad for their self-titled album, he realized several sections of the track worked perfectly with his contributions to the disc so he "borrowed" them.

-----
I left out a couple little tidbits. Around the time of chicken feather's release, someone with ties to the band put out word that not distributing Idom would be appreciated. Why is honestly beyond me. Maybe Century Media felt cheated? Perhaps Dev doing the track on his own belittled the accomplishments of the others?