Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#242212 by phniller
Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 am
Don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes...
Devin sometimes uses sonic booms, ultra low end sounds, best heard on Alien and The New Black. What kind of speakers should I look for if I want to get the most out of those booms. Preferably, I'd like to avoid buying a sub-woofer as I really like the guy who lives in the apartement under me and don't want to ruin his day with ultra low end bass.

So, can anybody help me with this?
#242213 by swervedriver
Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 am
Well, I think a subwoofer would be exactly what you need, so I think you'll have to try and swap apartments with the guy living below you. ;)
#242215 by Lolliklauer
Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 am
phniller wrote:Don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes...
Devin sometimes uses sonic booms, ultra low end sounds, best heard on Alien and The New Black. What kind of speakers should I look for if I want to get the most out of those booms. Preferably, I'd like to avoid buying a sub-woofer as I really like the guy who lives in the apartement under me and don't want to ruin his day with ultra low end bass.

So, can anybody help me with this?

I guess your neighbor doesn't care if the booms come from subs or from full-range-speakers... Personally i have quite small Nubert CS-65 (originally designed as center-speakers) with an "Active Tuning Module" which reach 35 hz, but only at medium volume (which is enough to bother my neighbors, but not enough to feel the bass punching the stomach). They reproduce the booms quite well and are compareable to a smaller subwoofer, i think. You need ultra-low-bass equipment, if you want a really punching bass. But as said, for your neighbor it's the same if you have a big subwoofer or big speakers. For very low bass you need a big room, too (30 square meters or more). If you have a smaller room you should stay with smaller speakers. In any case you will have to "tune" your room. If it comes to low bass, the room is even more critical for the sound than the speakers. It took weeks for me to find the right place for my new Nubert-speakers in a room of 27 m², but was rewarded with very deep and clean bass (but as said, only medium volume). Theoretically the perfect setup would include a double-bass-array (2 subwoofers in front and 2 more identical subwoofers out of phase in the back who kill resonances, combined with digital processors for the correct delay and everything), but i only read about it ;-).
#242266 by mrbean667
Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:32 pm
I'd say that a separate subwoofer would be the easiest and cheapest option, or speakers with built in bass reflex.
#242285 by phniller
Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:13 am
Thanks for the advice, guys. Appreciate it.
I need to get myself some new speakers, so that's first on the agenda. But I am seriously tempted to get me a sub, and scare the living daylights out of my neighbour. Poor guy....
#246469 by phniller
Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:24 am
Right! I don't know if anybody cares, but here's an update.

And, oh yeah, by the way...

***** HIFI-GEEK ALERT *****

Ahem, but anyhow, I first got me some new speakers, and that made a huge difference. I guess you sometimes just get used to your old stereo setup and forget that there are better options out there. And, more importantly, better sonics. So that was a major step up, better dynamics, better sound stage, the works. And since the devster has a tendency to cram his records full with little weird noises, I spent a few days just hearing new things on each and every record. And if that isn't the definition of sad and lonely record-collector geek heaven, I don't know what is.

So yeah, I was pretty satisfied with my setup, and the thought of a sub seemed like overkill....SEEMED is the key word here. Because I borrowed a sub from a friend and, holy molly!!! Now I think I did the right thing here, stereo wise. I got the new speakers first and took care of the high and mid-range, and THEN I added the bass, and sweet mother of mercy, this rocks. Sonic boom heaven. Plus, you don't even need to crank your sub, just let it rumble gently in the background and it just completes the soundstage. Yup, I'm a happy camper now.

Plus, I'm not even worried that my neighbour is gonna freak out, I never go to 11 on my stereo anyway, music is for listening, not blasting that icky brown stuff out of your ears.

Moral of the story : MUSIC ROCKS! So treat yourselves and get some decent hardware.

@Lolliklauer
I'll see your über-geek story and raise you with the fuckest thing I've ever come across in the wild and wacky world of hifi.
And of course, the japanese are involved. There are some crazy hifi-dudes (I'm assuming they're male, but I guess that's a pretty safe assumption) who have placed their subs ind the cellar and through of series of vents and shafts, they connect the cellar to their appartemt, say on the 3rd floor, and therebye
use the cellar as their bass-chamber. DOUBLE BASS-AH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odVbjYeeCiU