Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#116598 by Turge
Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:22 am
First time I heard Lamb of Gods album "As The Palaces Burn" I thought it had a pretty nice guitar sound, as well as nice 'n' sharp drums. But the production still bothered me very much, at times it was as it was hurting my ears! So when I found out it was Devin who had been pulling the strings in the studio, I was mighty disappointed. How could you do this bad, Devin? You, who had never, EVER, let me down in any way? :(

...then one day, some months later, I had my foobar on random and "Ruin" started playing. I had my system somewhat turned up, and the sound just tore me to shreds. I grinned bigger than ever before, and Devin was once again flawless.

My point is: I love how Devin produces stuff and manages to hide all these tons of little gems in the sound. It has happened to me with "Terria", "Infinity", "City", "Alien", Synchestra, "Natural Born Chaos" by Soilwork and, as you can see, to the Lamb of God album. It was such a rush when I finally "got it".

Devin, you are the man! :guitar:

#116600 by Zombielord1985
Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:27 am
hell yeah i though devins producation on as the palaces burn was great! really heavy! as the palaces burn is alot better cd then ashes of the wake because of this. ashes has like 3-4 pretty good songs. but as the palaces burn i could just set that cd on and just let it play enjoying every sec of it. unlike ashes.

#116602 by ramionparas
Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:56 am
The production rules..It was the bands choise that the record sounds like that, at the time they didn't have mega record deal(like on ashes)..But I enjoy the the cd, A LOT..I hate ashes, It just sounds over producted, and only has 2-3 good songs..

#116773 by Noodles
Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:48 pm
its the music not the production =)

#116803 by niklang
Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:32 am
My initial take was that the production was a bit weak. Not what i was expecting at all. The guitars seemed to have a lack of crunch and the drums were didn't feel very powerful.

Maybe I need to hear it again but much louder to appreciate it. I really don't like the LOG vocals though. He sounds like hes trying to hard to be gruff sounding, but whatever!

#116808 by BrunoN
Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:13 am
LOG is example of a band making pretty ordinary things perfectly right (and winning me with it). Quite simple songs without unnecesary melody, played groovy and extremely tight. And I love the vocals - sounding very menacing, far better than i.e. typical Gothenburg screams, and better than most of growlers I've heard. Shortly: I like them, though Randy Blythe isn't the guy whom I want to meet in a dark alley :)

And I'm still amazed, how "overproduced" insult can be used on forum of a guy, whose hobby is laying millions tracks with billions of different things and polishing his music till it shines so much you almost can't look at the CD without going blind.

For me "Ashes..." is just properly recorded, in a way that makes you hear all the things clearly. I don't see (or hear) over-doing of anything, honestly.

#117134 by UncleTonyP
Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:15 pm
Dev's work on THE HEAVILS last record is similer to Palace Burns, i think... janky and IN YOUR FUCKING FACE.. i think its fucking awesome... check it out.

#125429 by Shub
Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:12 am
Old LoG > new stuff, even with Devin on board for it. Burn the priest kicks ass. Having said that, As the palaces burn is waaaaaaaaay better than ashes of the wake, song wise and production wise.

#126961 by andjustinforall
Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:15 am
Ashes of the Wake has really good production... if it was for pop rock music. For metal, it's got no balls. The guitars aren't loud enough and vocals are too loud (which is annoying when the singing isn't particularly interesting)...

#140191 by earworm
Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:43 pm
i still don't like the albums sound, it's very mid rangey to me, everything sounds very middy, with the highs scooped out. It's also sounds very narrow sounding, but i bet thats what they were going for. Very in your face and tight sounding, nbc for soilwork is my type of mix though, i love that albums sound. Theres a part in the chorus of one of the songs on that album where it sounds like devin took the sibbilance of the singers voice during a certain part of the chorus and put delay on just the sibbilant part, it sounds so amazing. It kind of sounds like it might be delay on the hihat there also, it's awesome anyways.

#140200 by djskrimp
Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:52 pm
You should hear what he did for December on thier album, "The Lament Configuration". Compare what they'd put out before to that album, and it's probably akin to someone taking some coal and producing a flawless diamond. I can't say enough of what I think of Devin's production for that band on that album.

#143030 by sylterria
Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:32 am
theres a looong story behind that. a few friends of mine played alot of shows with LoG and got the inside scoop fro mthe band themselves regarding the production of 'as the palaces burn"

the side i heard was that during the recording of 'atpb', devin was gearing up for syl's next release "alien". during this time to set the mood for the record, devin stopped taking his medication. this conflicted with the production schedule for 'atpb' but dev agreed to do it anyway.

story goes that dev freaked out during the first or second day and locked himself in the bathroom for almost 3 days. on the LoG home video, theres a small segment where they're trying to talk dev out of the studio bathroom.

subsequently, LoG decided to try to figure out how to produce the records themselves based on what little they learned from dev, and the results were shows on the record.

this is the story ive heard from LoG's point of view. its believable due to the timing between writing 'alien' and devs choice to stop taking his meds. awesome story nonetheless.

#143052 by Deathcom7000
Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:53 pm
omg, someone needs to youtube that for me

#143054 by FUBAR
Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:07 pm
sylterria wrote:theres a looong story behind that. a few friends of mine played alot of shows with LoG and got the inside scoop fro mthe band themselves regarding the production of 'as the palaces burn"

the side i heard was that during the recording of 'atpb', devin was gearing up for syl's next release "alien". during this time to set the mood for the record, devin stopped taking his medication. this conflicted with the production schedule for 'atpb' but dev agreed to do it anyway.

story goes that dev freaked out during the first or second day and locked himself in the bathroom for almost 3 days. on the LoG home video, theres a small segment where they're trying to talk dev out of the studio bathroom.

subsequently, LoG decided to try to figure out how to produce the records themselves based on what little they learned from dev, and the results were shows on the record.

this is the story ive heard from LoG's point of view. its believable due to the timing between writing 'alien' and devs choice to stop taking his meds. awesome story nonetheless.

Hmm Interesting, Cheers for sharing that!

#151182 by *lebowski*
Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:17 am
sylterria wrote:theres a looong story behind that. a few friends of mine played alot of shows with LoG and got the inside scoop fro mthe band themselves regarding the production of 'as the palaces burn"

I call bullshit on this. Alien came out in 2005, and As the Palaces Burn came out in 2003.