Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#78572 by hog
Mon May 30, 2005 5:36 pm
In particular the clean vocals on "Earth Day". Is it heavily compressed or is there perhaps a chorus effect on it. Also just wondering how he gets that echo sound without his vocals getting lost.

Thanks
Hog

#78584 by Persuader
Tue May 31, 2005 12:20 am
For the echo, he probably dubbed the vocals and put the effect on some tracks, leaving some clean.

#140193 by earworm
Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:50 pm
the vox on truth are amazing and probably my favorite from him, he automated the panning on that song to go with the music at a certain part towards the end, put on some headphones and listen to it, you'll notice it more then, it's awesome.

#141542 by Mealz
Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 pm
trying to re-create that huge Vocal sound (i guess youd call it backing vox) , i'v used the 'def lepperd' technique before and had similar results, the whole singing whilst being very airy in your throat, like your literally trying to breath down the mic , making a 'HHHHHHHHH' sound, like the sound of a choir or crowd, if you layer that heaps, it sounds amazing, like giant power metal singing gods!!!! YEAH!!

#141556 by Goat
Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:45 am
Like ... 30 vocal tracks? :lol:

#141572 by Josiah Tobin
Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:35 am
Goat wrote:Like ... 30 vocal tracks? :lol:

Hey man, don't laugh! 40+ guitar tracks is where it's at! :lol:

#141582 by Goat
Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:40 pm
\m/

#141651 by the toilet
Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:03 pm
Phat cake!! 8)

#141687 by Biert
Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:18 am
Random Comment!
#191143 by daneulephus
Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:53 am
On one of the occasions that I met Devin, I had to ask 676789698 questions about Infinity, namely the production. He said in total, after bouncing with adat, there were about 80 vocal tracks.

Even though adat is really hard to work with, I think it was key in getting that certain energy to his productions in the 90's. I don't know if he used them on Terria. I think the vox on that album are a bit TOO high end-y.

Does anyone else think the more digital productions lose something? I like digital for editing, but someday I want to get either adats, or an old analog tape machine.

For Dev style vox, I just compress them going in, crank the gain almost to red, and layer till it sounds right. That goes for the choir style anyway. Effecting them going in helps with the expression you use while singing. Panning is effective i.e.- double the harmonies or melodies and pan the doubled version hard right or left, opposite the main vox. Or, put a slight channel delay on them.....this gives them that 3-d effect. I have also bounced tons of tracks onto one and then effected that track.

There are tons of ways to go about it. The best thing to do is just expiriment. A BBE sonic maximizer will help IMMENSELY in getting that Terria style thickness and crispness to the vox. A good effect unit, good compression, and a maximizer is really all you need.
#249395 by Variant
Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 am
daneulephus wrote:On one of the occasions that I met Devin, I had to ask 676789698 questions about Infinity, namely the production. He said in total, after bouncing with adat, there were about 80 vocal tracks.

Did he say how many guitars there were on the "wall of sound" parts?
#249442 by mrbean667
Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:27 pm
daneulephus wrote:On one of the occasions that I met Devin, I had to ask 676789698 questions about Infinity, namely the production. He said in total, after bouncing with adat, there were about 80 vocal tracks.

Even though adat is really hard to work with, I think it was key in getting that certain energy to his productions in the 90's. I don't know if he used them on Terria. I think the vox on that album are a bit TOO high end-y.

Does anyone else think the more digital productions lose something? I like digital for editing, but someday I want to get either adats, or an old analog tape machine.

For Dev style vox, I just compress them going in, crank the gain almost to red, and layer till it sounds right. That goes for the choir style anyway. Effecting them going in helps with the expression you use while singing. Panning is effective i.e.- double the harmonies or melodies and pan the doubled version hard right or left, opposite the main vox. Or, put a slight channel delay on them.....this gives them that 3-d effect. I have also bounced tons of tracks onto one and then effected that track.

There are tons of ways to go about it. The best thing to do is just expiriment. A BBE sonic maximizer will help IMMENSELY in getting that Terria style thickness and crispness to the vox. A good effect unit, good compression, and a maximizer is really all you need.

Could you give us everything Dev said? I'd be interested.
#249973 by Quinnzor
Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:24 am
Abydost wrote:Analog recording gives you tape saturation! Although some plugins can give you somewhat the same effect in a DAW. But if you want an old tape machine, you better win the lottery, brah.

Ain't that the truth.