Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother
#79737 by rgx612a
Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:52 am
I've read a few interviews where Devin seems kinda unsatisfied with Physicist. He actually seems to have a little bit of a negative attitude towards alot of his work, but Physicist in particular. Anyone know why this is? I think it's pretty solid record, certainly not his best, but it's not something to be dissapointed in IMO.

#79747 by Coma Divine
Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:41 am
I'm not sure that Devin would ever get to the stage of not "liking" any of his prior works (only he could answer that) but it is possible that Physicist may not have quite turned out the way it was conceived. Dev has very high standards and if he perceived that the end result hadn't quite come up to his initial aspirations, then I imagine he might be a little let down.

Caught somewhere between SYL and his own independent musical development; it stands unique in the catalogue...and should be appreciated as such. 8)

I like it muchly. :D

#79758 by EphelDuath666
Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:11 am
well yeah, if he doesn't like it I don't have a problem with that because I love it :D

#79814 by Hellhammer
Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:56 pm
Yeah, I wouldn't say that he doesn't like it. I've been reading some of the interviews on the press CD, and what I can gather is that he was unsatisfied with the way it sounds and stuff like that, but he still likes it. He made it and it's feelings that come from him, so how can he not like it.

#80009 by fragility
Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:50 am
Some wise words once spoken by the Linkin Park singer, of all people, when asked something about liking/disliking some songs:

"your songs are like your kids, you love them all, you just like some more than others"

hahaha, that quote always sticks in my head!

#80076 by Hellhammer
Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:30 pm
That quote makes me think of something that was actually funny that Blink 182 said. Something about not masterbating untill the guy was 18 and blowing a hole through the shower curtain. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing.

Anyways, thats quote is a good way of looking at it.

Summary: None

#80094 by King Fear
Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:51 am
In another interview with The Dev I read recently he states that he stops liking all his records sometime after release, because they're "finished" and "out there" and he can't fix what he perceives as "imperfections".

Silly artists. :D

#80095 by fragility
Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:58 am
I think it's understandable. Any big project you embark on has to reach that point where you stop fiddling with imperfections because you just want to "get it done" - you realise you could go on forever perfecting it, and Dev definately comes across as a perfectionist.

Plus, I'd imagine after immersing yourself in a record for months on end, part of you would end up a little sick of it

#80131 by Noodles
Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:27 pm
as for quotes of crappy bands...

i remember static-x saying about one of their albums:

"It grabs you by the balls and drags you around for half an hour... and then your a man!"

i feel that suits SYL more though ~_~

i like some of physicist, especailly Death, Namaste and Planet Rain

#80141 by King Fear
Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:18 am
I'd rather not be grabbed by the balls by anything even remotely Static-X, thank you.

#84397 by Naffis-kun
Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:23 am
"Physicist is like the diet coke of SYL" :D
Exactly!
That's what Devin said somewhere..

#84398 by Greg Reason
Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:34 am
I think that Devin likes this record less because he realizes that it isn't as good as his other ones. Simple.

Like he said in an interview prior to the release of Terria "Physicist wasn't a great record. It was good, it just wasn't great. This one will be great!"

He knows his shit.

#84417 by Blazingmonga
Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:23 am
Just because the artist that created something doesnt like it, doesnt mean that we cant.

I think that Physicist has something to offer that none of the other DTB album have...there is a strange cosmic, cold and desolate vibe about this disc. Whatever reasons Devin has for not liking this disc could well be the exact same reasons that somebody might like it more than other albums.

Not sure exactly what I am trying to say here....uhhhh oh well!

#84559 by Chris
Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:20 am
Riiight, I agree with Monga too. Even if Dev had released an album quite similar to Physicist before, it would be worth getting attention - simply because there are some amazing tracks on it, imo.

But on the other hand, Dev is one of the artists who really create a unique atmosphere with each album. As he did on Infinity, as he did on Terria - and as he did on Physicist. Again it's about taste... And this can't be discussed :wink: