The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#249447 by Caleb9849
Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:23 am
So, here's my sob story. I just discovered the glory of this album a few days ago, and it's quickly taken its place as one of my 5-or-so greatest albums of all time. And that's not easy to do; I'm pretty fucking hard to please, and I listen to quite a bit of music.

In particular, one of my favorite songs, for its musical quality and beauty, is Nobody's Here (as seems to be the case for a lot of people). I didn't pay a /ton/ of attention to the lyrics at first (except the chorus), but I wanted it to have some really deep, philosophical, psychological meaning.

So I look it up, and find out the entire damn song is about getting high off marijuana.

I don't want to alienate any pot smokers; in fact, I don't have a problem against pot. My problem is that I wanted this song to have an amazingly deep, thoughtful meaning, to complement the amazing musical beauty of the song. And finding out it's just about smoking a joint and feeling high, well, kind of crushes it for me. Can anyone see where I'm coming from? Has anyone had a similar experience to this (with this, or any other song)?
#249455 by Biert
Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am
It is?
#249478 by Caleb9849
Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:02 am
Isn't it? The "roll this up" line quite obviously is...from that, "Why can't I remember?" certainly seems to go along with it, and then the chorus (although I interpreted it differently when I first heard it) certainly seems to fit with the same theme. I've never smoked pot myself, so I can't say first-hand, but that is what people who are high on marijuana report feeling like.
#249507 by twentyjunious
Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:47 am
That's what I thought first listen, "roll this up it's deadly" but I don't think it is just that on its own. It seems to be a statement about loneliness. About wallowing in self for a while, feeling like you are the only person alive on the planet, and wishing during that moment that that feeling could last forever (or a year...whatev) and that's a feeling that can be amplified by smoking weed. But to me it also says that too long in this state and you can start to lose it, that everybody needs company once in a while, ('come in, it's good to see you here' and the whole 'break down breaks ground') Dev writes music that reflects how he feels t the time, and you've gotta remember that he spent a fuckload of his time stoned during the SYL days. That's just my interpretation of it though.

Being high, as well as being sober, is a state of mind and there are a lot of emotions to be explored within that. I can't understand why the song being about being high, (if it is) makes it any less beautiful or any less 'deep'
#322015 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:51 am
Thread bump to agree with the last post. While marijuana may be an inspiration for the song, it's still layered enough to have multiple meanings, chiefly the loneliness and depression that comes with being introverted and caring little for the outside world.
You might desire company, however it can become too much and you eventually want to be left alone, which can backfire. Substances might be used to ease this conflict but they're incidental; in the end, you still face the pros and cons of solitude.