The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE

#102967 by FUBAR
Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:36 am
Matthijs K. wrote:The outro to Mountain is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded, imo. Just this fading soundscape, those swirling guitars.

Word! I know thats meant to be some commercial but I still sounds like Dev to me. :?

#105485 by A-Daamage
Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:56 am
Matthijs K. wrote:And the opening chord of Earth Day makes me jump everytime :) I just fully drown in the outro and then that big sound kicks in again. Pure magic.

Oh man, same here. I get lost in that last part with the Japanese singing, start to drift off, and BAM, Earth Day!!! WAKE UP!

#115118 by pacman
Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 am
If I remember it well it was a part from a commercial (def once road that) but if you ask me.. i't's def singing someting

#115634 by Deathcom7000
Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:22 am
Eyesore wrote:Devin has said in the past that while in Japan he often records weird Japanese TV shows and videos, he later sometimes uses them in songs. This is most likely where this material came from and I'd bet money that there is virtually no way to determine what it actually is.

Do you think maybe theres one lurking somewhere in Ants?

#115642 by Dustdevil
Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:24 pm
Speaking of completely crazy drift enducing Dev outros, there's the one from Voices in the Fan, with those beautiful gregorian chants. Pure music.

Track 7 of the Devlab is in the same genre as well.

#116617 by VelvetKevorkian429
Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:29 am
What I love even more about the outro in Mountain are the sounds of Devs guitar in the background on that music. Thats what really makes me start to drift away in the song

#116788 by gurp13
Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:55 pm
Dustdevil wrote:Speaking of completely crazy drift enducing Dev outros, there's the one from Voices in the Fan, with those beautiful gregorian chants. Pure music.

Track 7 of the Devlab is in the same genre as well.

Technically speaking, those are not Gregorian Chant. They *do* sound like a chant of some sort, but they are certainly not Gregorian. Gregorian chant is much more medieval and is done by men. Here's a wikipedia page on it.

Wikipedia - Gregorian Chant

#119186 by HiPoCrAcY
Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 am
Have you heard any Enigma? Pretty sure that has Gregorian Chant in it. It's nice stuff :)

#119221 by gurp13
Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:07 am
HiPoCrAcY wrote:Have you heard any Enigma? Pretty sure that has Gregorian Chant in it. It's nice stuff :)

Yes, Enigma uses Gregorian chant a lot. I did listen to some back in the day but it didn't stick with me.

#119417 by bobbyjointritual
Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:53 pm
I have a mountain question...

when does he say:
"Nerves on fire, nothing is a sneaker...everything is catastrophe
That bump in your armpit is Cancer
That bump was turbulence
I guess it starts again

There is no reason for nostalgia,
Everything is still happening,
There is no reason for memory

The step, a choice.
I wish everything could have worked out the way you wanted it to
It's so tragic...so beautiful...
When everything is so hollow
Think of going home."

I cant hear it in the song...does he actually say it or is it just in the lyric book?

#119423 by hairy
Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:59 pm
bobbyjointritual wrote:I have a mountain question...

when does he say:
"Nerves on fire, nothing is a sneaker...everything is catastrophe
That bump in your armpit is Cancer
That bump was turbulence
I guess it starts again

There is no reason for nostalgia,
Everything is still happening,
There is no reason for memory

The step, a choice.
I wish everything could have worked out the way you wanted it to
It's so tragic...so beautiful...
When everything is so hollow
Think of going home."

I cant hear it in the song...does he actually say it or is it just in the lyric book?

Answer is the last part of your question.
It happens in a couple of songs actually.
Dev usually says that it's what the song is aboot, but the words don't always fit with the music.
I think these words are trying to tell more aboot the song.

Another example is Velvet K.
Last edited by hairy on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#119429 by bobbyjointritual
Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:40 pm
ok, thanks

oh, and you mean velvet kevorkian?

#119433 by hairy
Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:57 pm
bobbyjointritual wrote:ok, thanks

oh, and you mean velvet kevorkian?

Yes.
Thanx for correcting me, I'll edit my post!

#120237 by SirJuzzi
Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:42 am
Matthijs K. wrote:And the opening chord of Earth Day makes me jump everytime :) I just fully drown in the outro and then that big sound kicks in again.

Once I succeeded in counting the tempo for Earth Day after Mountain, it went right on, the song started just when it was supposed to, and the tempo was the same as I counted. Never succeeded in it another time though. :P

#122939 by SouldrivenDevil
Wed May 31, 2006 2:47 pm
All i know is the "Suffer" growl after the first verse is soooo fuckign sick