Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?

#77352 by Cygnus
Tue May 03, 2005 6:59 am
Yeah, i would agree that Suicide is a quite amazing song. Its pretty conventional as far as most music goes, but the solo in the middle is pure insanity.

I did a tab for it a while back, but it was in drop C, and I've been told on numerous occasions that suicide was in open C. Maybe i could redo it.

#77446 by EternalMetal
Wed May 04, 2005 5:37 pm
I love suicide (the song :)). One of my favorites on the album also, along with pretty much every song on the album :)

I heard about the mysterious spine tingles, but i have never experienced them before i listen to Devin Townsend stuff. I love this stuff, it even makes me cry sometimes, but its one of those happy cries :lol:

#77451 by into the voigtex
Wed May 04, 2005 6:31 pm
Best riff on AE. Especially the bendy thing it does in the middle. Love the guitar harmonies and the keyboard swells. Definitely my favourite song on the album.
#117742 by Mr. Hell
Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:35 pm
Suicide and Pixillate are similar to me due to how they both begin with the grouchy sounding guitar.
Each of these are also my favorite Dev songs. Amazing.

#125421 by Shub
Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:18 am
sitinthemountain wrote:when dev sings 'all my life...' i get chills down my spine.

Yup, it's an amazing part of the song and an amazing part of music altogether. This song is very powerful on the emotional front. The very beginning with it's slow build up to the main part is haunting as a very haunting thing too... jsut wow. What a song!

#137051 by Shinigami Kamenzi
Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:56 am
Greg Reason wrote:One of th ebest things he's ever done! That one, Storm and Deadhead make AE a big winner.

That's my problem with Accelerated Evolution: Suicide is phenomenal, and Deadhead, Sunday Afternoon and Away are all decent... but that's about it. The majority of the stuff on here is definitely my least favourite Dev material, which is a shame - since there are some amazing songs hidden on here as well.

#137055 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:01 am
I personally only see a small relation between pixillate and suicide. suicide is a bit darker than pixillate I'd say. apart from structural similarities, both songs are very far detached from each other. suicide comes back to me as more of an electric purple, whereas pixillate comes out as a browny colour (you might have to read another thread to understand what I mean). as well as that, suicide's scaled structure of notes differs from pixillate's. that's to me though, to others they may sound really similar.
ps
I heart the guitar harmonised riff in suicide

#143070 by Crisis+Devoid=00013
Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 pm
ya-know,
no one has lived until they've heard Suicide done on piano...
a few months back me and some mates got together and worked out most of it by ear (not including the solo; we didn't feel like sitting at the piano for 8487325678hours so we decided to just do the main song)...

it sounded so unbelievably awesome!

#143071 by Crisis+Devoid=00013
Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 pm
sorry for the double post,
i didn't think it worked...

#143090 by Blazingmonga
Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:51 am
Crisis+Devoid=00013 wrote:ya-know,
no one has lived until they've heard Suicide done on piano...
a few months back me and some mates got together and worked out most of it by ear (not including the solo; we didn't feel like sitting at the piano for 8487325678hours so we decided to just do the main song)...

it sounded so unbelievably awesome!

Have you a recording of this? Even a poor quality amateur one? This sounds really interesting, and I would love to hear it!

#143104 by Deathcom7000
Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:32 pm
Hmm. I think i'm the only one who dosn't really get a kick out of this song. Dosn't really click with me, and it seems a little repetitive. Sorry, but this may actually be one of my least favorite tracks on the album. They go in this order.

Storm
Random Analysis
Depth Charge
Deadhead
Sunday Afternoon
Slow Me Down
Traveller
Suicide
Away

Funny story though. When I first heard this song, my disk imported it weirdly, and at the 2:05 mark, the song started to scratch and sound all wierd untill about 3:30. I thought it was part of the song though because it was self destructive, and the song was called suicide. But then I heard the song clean, and was like ... "oh".
Last edited by Deathcom7000 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#143144 by Centurion
Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:04 am
Noodles wrote:this song had a darker feel to it that almost reminded me of Tool

I also noticed some Tool-vibes on this one. I dont like Tool at all but Suicide is a great song. One of my favtracks on AE.

#146037 by Crisis+Devoid=00013
Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:42 pm
Blazingmonga;
no, sorry: i don't have a recording of it, and i would do one but the main guy i did it with has moved down to sydney since then, and since it was him on the solo (you pretty much need at least two people to do it for the track to work), i won't be able to recreate it for a while;

but if he comes back up to visit brisbane again, or i visit sydney, i'll make sure we catch up and record it

...btw; can someone teach me how to quote people, i just tried to but i can't quite pull it off right. thanks.

#146049 by Noodles
Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:25 pm
Centurion wrote:
Noodles wrote:this song had a darker feel to it that almost reminded me of Tool

I also noticed some Tool-vibes on this one. I dont like Tool at all but Suicide is a great song. One of my favtracks on AE.

I say weird stuff o.O

#146146 by Josiah Tobin
Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:43 am
Crisis+Devoid=00013 wrote:Blazingmonga;
no, sorry: i don't have a recording of it, and i would do one but the main guy i did it with has moved down to sydney since then, and since it was him on the solo (you pretty much need at least two people to do it for the track to work), i won't be able to recreate it for a while;

but if he comes back up to visit brisbane again, or i visit sydney, i'll make sure we catch up and record it

...btw; can someone teach me how to quote people, i just tried to but i can't quite pull it off right. thanks.

There's a couple ways: Just hit the 'quote' button on someone's post, then it'll go to reply mode with that person's post showing in between a [quote] and a [/quote]. You can then trim it down to the part you want to quote, or just do the whole thing. Then write your reply beneath it in the rest of the post window.

Or, you can just copy and paste the line you want to quote from someone's post, and put this before it: [quote]
and this after it: [/quote] (note the / )

That's it. :)