The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#200979 by Drumdude13
Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:36 pm
Hey everyone,

I recently just finished another interview for "Sick Drummer" Magazine. I think the next issue comes out in July or August 2009. I will get all the details soon.

I talk about my involvement in the many bands and sessions I've done in the past, my involvement with Devin and much more. It'll be a cool interview and I believe it's a 3-4 page spread which is really cool. Once everything is 100% confirmed I will release more details. Pretty stoked about this and Modern Drummer.... all, within a couple months of each other. Life is good, music is good, everything is good!

For more info on Sick Drummer go to:

http://www.sickdrummer.com/

Stay posted and thanks for supporting Devin and my involvement with him.

Best,

RVP
#201006 by Leechmaster
Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 am
Congrats, Ryan! Great to see you're getting some major praises recently, and good man for keepin' us in the loop! Image
#203634 by Drumdude13
Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:26 pm
Hey Everyone,

Here is a link to check out the Sick Drummer interview I did with them:

http://www.sickdrummer.com/index.php?op ... temid=1025

*You need to be a member of Sick Drummer.com for the link to work. Signing up is free.

A couple very cool extra facts about this issue.... it's their 1 year anniversary issue featuring Vinnie Paul and Dave Lombardo among many others like myself (3 page spread) and an interview with.....

Devin Townsend!

I had no idea he was going to be in the same issue! Dev does a cool interview and talks about the various drummers he's played with and for what reasons he 's played with them for.

Awesome issue of Sick Drummer. Check it out and enjoy!

Best,

RVP
#204564 by Amber
Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:58 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
Amber wrote:Cool! :D I'm just signing up to look now. :D

Hope you enjoy it! Cool issue, great interviews!

RVP

Yeah, twas rather cool! :D Good interviews definitely. Although, Dev saying about the touring might not be possibly is a little sad - I can understand though, trying to make one tour of four albums, how much can he take on? :P

That'd be nuts though - Could you imagine all of you guys on a bus? :P
#204573 by Drumdude13
Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm
Amber wrote:

Yeah, twas rather cool! :D Good interviews definitely. Although, Dev saying about the touring might not be possibly is a little sad - I can understand though, trying to make one tour of four albums, how much can he take on? :P

That would be one hell of a group of guys on the bus.... it would be interesting to say the least!
#204710 by Amber
Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm
Haha totally. It would certainy be cosy? I wouldn't know, I've not been in a tour bus before, but I can't imagine they are exactly huge. :P Lets hope something an get sorted though. I certainly think that some of the Addicted stuff would be awesome live (From the little snippits I've heard.)
#204740 by islandsinthesky
Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
Amber wrote:

That would be one hell of a group of guys on the bus.... it would be interesting to say the least!

Who do you think would have the worst smelling poop?
#204794 by Drumdude13
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:24 pm
islandsinthesky wrote:
Drumdude13 wrote:
Amber wrote:

Who do you think would have the worst smelling poop?

Probably Beavis! LOL!

He doesn't eat the healthiest of foods, smokes lots of green and drinks lotsa' coffee, a recipe for disaterous poop.... Dev a few years ago would have won the contest when he was eating shitty food all the time, I can attest to that BUT now Dev is working out, getting in shape, eating and drinking healthy.... he probably has scentless poop that even looks nice now! :lol:

I can't believe I answered that question! So how 'bout the Dev interview in Sick Drummer ? Good huh ? *change of subject from poop talk* :lol:

Best,

RVP
#204798 by islandsinthesky
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 pm
Oh, dude, you're interview was awesome, but it left some unanswered questions.

The poop one being one of them.

Another being "How do you think your drumming's evolved over the years working with all these incredible acts, and what are you looking to evolve or improve most in the future?"
#205335 by Drumdude13
Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:03 pm
islandsinthesky wrote: "How do you think your drumming's evolved over the years working with all these incredible acts, and what are you looking to evolve or improve most in the future?"

Very good question bro....

I think my drumming has evolved immensely over the past 6-8 years or so. Working with a bunch of professional talented musicians within the music industry will obviously rub off on a person. Each project made me a better player for different reasons. Lalu was a project that was very 'Dream Theaterish', so time signatures, crazy fills and displacement beats were everywhere and that made me a more versatile drummer. Non-Human Level was a full out thrash album, so the double kick work got amped up for me on that one, I play my fastest double kick ever recorded on that album along with some crazy double kick beats which evolved my feet and speed. Fabe Drive (Chad Kroeger from Nickelback produced it) was a session where I had to lay it down and come up with the simplest fills that would still be effective and cool, it's challenging to place less than more sometimes, that's what I took from that recording. The list goes on.... Devin challenges me on every album I do with him. He challenges me in playing and memorization. 'Addicted' was learned in 6-7 days and then we recorded it in a day and a half. It was an intense session and one of the funnest too, believe it or not.

As for what i want to improve or evolve on for the future... EVERYTHING. I don't think you can ever stop learning or even master your instrument. There is always one facet you can improve on at any given time. I think I would like to work on the Jazz end of my playing more, I have Jazz experience but I'd like to have that evolve way more than what it is now. I'm studying displacement of beats a lot now (Gavin Harrison influence) and trying to evolve that part of my playing. I even through in a little displacement of beats on 'Addicted', it's fun and sounds really cool. There's always something. I just love drumming and always want to improve and enjoy playing.

Hope that answers your question dude...

Best,

RVP
#205387 by islandsinthesky
Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm
^See, now that's what I like to take from an interview. Not to rip on anyone, but I wanted to hear about you as an artist and as a drummer.

That was beautiful, man. I really respect you. You know what your doing, understand yourself, and encourage versatility in yourself, but at the same time, you're humble. I can't wait to hear your contribution to Addicted, and I'll be keeping track of everything you do musically from now on.
#205388 by islandsinthesky
Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm
Also if you're ever in Chicago I'll buy you a sandwich.