Archived

#5907 by MullHawk
Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:50 pm
It's a shame really, such high expectations yet recently all they seem to do is produce crappy albums. They should just get back to the damn roots for one last album and then call it a day, they at least owe the die hard fans that.

#6150 by Chops 666
Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:05 am Post subject: Re: From Dev

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dev wrote:Some answers...

I could make a female singer sound perfect. Nobody in mind though...

I do, Dev. How about Skin from Skunk Anansie. Would be perfect!

Anything would be better than the recent solo album she released. But I agree with you 100%. Skin rules! I saw S&A at a shitty little club in London Canada on the Stoosh tour and they floored me! She even made that Sevendust album (Home) good on the song she sang.

#6494 by Apophis
Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:37 am
Did you hear the Iommi track she was on?

#6495 by MullHawk
Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:39 am
The album she released under Skin sounded awful. Well it did nothing for me anyway.

#6509 by iruhl
Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:17 am
danceswithchickens wrote:Ever since James Hetfield started sounding like a hick, I haven't been able to take him seriously. I saw them perform a new song live on MTV, and his voice just didn't suit the music at all. Sounds like he should be a country singer instead.

But I haven't really listened to the new album, so I won't knock it.

you should check it out....it isn't that bad

#6685 by Apophis
Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:34 am
St Anger "isn't that bad"?

i think you're the first person i've heard actually say anything remotely positive about it, outside of Metal Hammer magazine that is.

#6692 by Oz
Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:00 am
yeh they really are beginning to destroy their reputation... now all the newer generation listeners will only be getting to know the shitty... it's better to end on top then to drag your reputation down along with your decrepitating bodies... They need at LEAST one album of the old style to rescue themselves...

#6710 by screamingking
Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:21 am
MullHawk wrote:The album she released under Skin sounded awful. Well it did nothing for me anyway.

Yeah, the solo album wasn't that good but Skunk ruled...However, my point was that if Devin produced her she would sound incredible, agree? Think about it.

#6712 by screamingking
Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:27 am
Apophis wrote:Did you hear the Iommi track she was on?

I know that she's done alot of studio work for people. I've never heard the Iommi track, though. Any good, the song that is..?

#6714 by screamingking
Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:31 am
Red Harvest. That's a cool band name.

#6717 by danra
Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:12 am
Oz wrote:yeh they really are beginning to destroy their reputation... now all the newer generation listeners will only be getting to know the shitty... it's better to end on top then to drag your reputation down along with your decrepitating bodies... They need at LEAST one album of the old style to rescue themselves...

if they released an album in the old style surely everyone would then slag them off for having progressed absolutely nowhere over a 20 year period? fair play to them for releasing something that sounds like nothing they've released before, and i might add sounds very little like anyone else at the moment. let's see Korn and Limp Bizkit try that. Metallica have re-invented themselves a couple of times now, and i think they deserve credit for a) releasing some genre-defining albums and b) not cashing in on their popularity by releasing what their fans want. can you see todays current chart-topping 'metal' bands releasing an album that was going to kill their album sales?

#6728 by Sinkharmony
Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:26 am
danra wrote: b) not cashing in on their popularity by releasing what their fans want.

I have a major problem with this attitude. It's one thing to say not cashing in by releasing the same album over and over. It's another to say not cashing in by releasing what the fans WANT. There would be no Metallica is it weren't for the fans! I mean, there is such a thing as having a side project! It's not like they don't have the resources to do something like that and make it succesful. It's not like they just changed their music either, they all decided to get haircuts, some fur coats and paint their nails black. Then after two albums of doing that, trying to go back and do something heavy again. From a band that once said they'd never sell out and would always push the envelope, to a band that copies trends and sells out every night. It's hard to keep respect when someone does that. [/b]

#6754 by Caeros
Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:44 pm
I don't see where they sold out to any trends, though. The Load albums are 70's rock influenced albums and while St. Anger does suck, it sounds nothing like the current crop of glossily produced, tightly-refined short song nu-metal out now.

#6781 by Oz
Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:31 am
I dont think they have sold out to anything either... But I do think they need to try at something else. St. Anger didnt work - if they go out and try the same style again, it will just continue their downward spiral.

if they released an album in the old style surely everyone would then slag them off for having progressed absolutely nowhere over a 20 year period? fair play to them for releasing something that sounds like nothing they've released before, and i might add sounds very little like anyone else at the moment. let's see Korn and Limp Bizkit try that.

And yeh that's a good point... But I still think they need to make a change so that their music isnt the current crap...

#6830 by Apophis
Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:35 am
even if it doesn't sound like Korn or Limp Bizkit, it still has a definitively nu-metal sound to it, regardless of the saucepan drums.